I'm listing out a few characteristic points of her serials..
- As I mentioned, the male lead dies, his family members perform all the rites and rituals with some other dead body and plunge into a state of grief. The hero has lost his memory and hence cannot get back to his family. Everybody at home asks the hero's wife to marry someone else and on the wedding day, the hero gets his memory back and behaves like a mad man, cursing everybody at home for playing such a horrible chaal [game/plot] with him.
- Talking about losing memory, sometimes the hero loses his memory on purpose, when he actually has not, and he does this to find out who's ruining the family.
- Only here can people sign papers without even glancing at them, and they realise it only after the property is gone!
- Man1 and woman1 love each other. But man1's mom wants him to marry woman2, else she will starve herself to death. Man1 has no choice but to marry woman2 [who is usually the bitch of the serial :P]. Else man1 and woman1 get married secretly and man1's mother refuses to accept her daughter-in-law. Or even better, she accepts her in front of everyone, but has all her chaals planned out secretly so that her son leaves this woman soon and marries woman2. Lol.
- There's a surprising number of children the male and female leads have. A few from one marriage, a few from another. This applies to both the man and the woman, and they get married and the house is full of children. Sometimes, the children are older than the step-mother. Then out of the blue a son crops up from nowhere and he is the illegitimate child. It's just too complicated!
- The women have no other job but to bitch about someone in the family and do things to bring that person's name down. Isn't it really funny the way the ladies say 'Humaari pehli chaal kaamyaab hui..hahahahahaha(devilish laughter)'.. Lol!
- How much the ladies cry! I'm pretty sure that when they hold auditions to cast the female lead and also the other actresses, they are made to shed some tears to see how well they can cry and how realistic they look! :P
- The ladies are always dressed in beautiful sarees full of sequins and wear matching [and really heavy] jewellary and make-up. They go to bed with all this. Lol.
- Serials keep leaping 20 years ahead, and the poor young actors get white hair so soon! And the grandma's are always alive.. immortal I think. Some of the serials have been running for 6-7 years now!
People actually discuss these serials and guess what's going to happen next. Don't they have anything better to talk about? From 8:30pm to 11 pm people are glued to the television. I know that the channels have to show something, but why extend the serials for years and years? Why show unrealistic things? I loved Neena Gupta's serial Saans. She only showed things that happen in families in India and in everyday life, and even the clothes that actors wore were comparable to those we wear at home. There was hardly any make-up. A few things were exaggerated here and there, but you need that much to keep the viewers' interest and to keep the serial going. Why not make serials like that? As long as people continue watching these serials, and keep the TRP's high, they will continue being aired..What's going to happen to the people who watch all these daily soaps? Are there any answers to these questions? I just wonder..