Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The 'K' mania..

Ekta Kapoor.. the lady who created the K serials.. all her serials begin with one, if not two K's [Kkusum..lol]! I stopped watching her serials ages ago.. some of them were interesting initially, but when the bitching and back-biting became unbearable, I stopped. Not only that, all her serials had similar things happening.. people dying [when they were actually alive and their family members find out only later], people losing their memory and so on..

I'm listing out a few characteristic points of her serials..
  • As I mentioned, the male lead dies, his family members perform all the rites and rituals with some other dead body and plunge into a state of grief. The hero has lost his memory and hence cannot get back to his family. Everybody at home asks the hero's wife to marry someone else and on the wedding day, the hero gets his memory back and behaves like a mad man, cursing everybody at home for playing such a horrible chaal [game/plot] with him.
  • Talking about losing memory, sometimes the hero loses his memory on purpose, when he actually has not, and he does this to find out who's ruining the family.
  • Only here can people sign papers without even glancing at them, and they realise it only after the property is gone!
  • Man1 and woman1 love each other. But man1's mom wants him to marry woman2, else she will starve herself to death. Man1 has no choice but to marry woman2 [who is usually the bitch of the serial :P]. Else man1 and woman1 get married secretly and man1's mother refuses to accept her daughter-in-law. Or even better, she accepts her in front of everyone, but has all her chaals planned out secretly so that her son leaves this woman soon and marries woman2. Lol.
  • There's a surprising number of children the male and female leads have. A few from one marriage, a few from another. This applies to both the man and the woman, and they get married and the house is full of children. Sometimes, the children are older than the step-mother. Then out of the blue a son crops up from nowhere and he is the illegitimate child. It's just too complicated!
  • The women have no other job but to bitch about someone in the family and do things to bring that person's name down. Isn't it really funny the way the ladies say 'Humaari pehli chaal kaamyaab hui..hahahahahaha(devilish laughter)'.. Lol!
  • How much the ladies cry! I'm pretty sure that when they hold auditions to cast the female lead and also the other actresses, they are made to shed some tears to see how well they can cry and how realistic they look! :P
  • The ladies are always dressed in beautiful sarees full of sequins and wear matching [and really heavy] jewellary and make-up. They go to bed with all this. Lol.
  • Serials keep leaping 20 years ahead, and the poor young actors get white hair so soon! And the grandma's are always alive.. immortal I think. Some of the serials have been running for 6-7 years now!
There are loads more I know, but I'll just stop my list here. I have nothing against the lady, she's out there to make money.. But I can't believe the people of India. They watch all the crap, but I do hope they don't absorb any of it. Some of the things she shows do exist in families, I agree, but most of the things don't! People actually get to learn so many horrible things by watching all this. Adults are sensible, they will probably not absorb any of this. But children? What if they start following all this nonsense when they grow up?

People actually discuss these serials and guess what's going to happen next. Don't they have anything better to talk about? From 8:30pm to 11 pm people are glued to the television. I know that the channels have to show something, but why extend the serials for years and years? Why show unrealistic things? I loved Neena Gupta's serial Saans. She only showed things that happen in families in India and in everyday life, and even the clothes that actors wore were comparable to those we wear at home. There was hardly any make-up. A few things were exaggerated here and there, but you need that much to keep the viewers' interest and to keep the serial going. Why not make serials like that? As long as people continue watching these serials, and keep the TRP's high, they will continue being aired..What's going to happen to the people who watch all these daily soaps? Are there any answers to these questions? I just wonder..

12 comments:

Siddharth said...

Haha.. I know you can't get rid of Ek-tha Kapoor Serials... but the people of India should understand that all this is just an work of fiction and shouldn't adopt/accept it as a way of life...

I think the only key element that Ekta Kapoor shows in her serials is: No girl (not a single one) can be happy after her marriage!!
The factor can be anything: husband, mother-in-law, brother-in-law or anyone...and by showing a woman in such adverse conditions, she attemps to show how strong a woman could be(or become).

I'd still like to put a check on the subject matter these serials show as apart from the adults, a large part of the viewers constitute young children (as mentioned in your article too) which could result in a total K-transform (:P) of our society in the coming future.
Nice Work! :)

Archun said...

haha! that's really true...I was just getting addicted to the stupid 'K' serials when - thank that kind soul - CAS was introduced! And now when I occassionally watch these when I go back home, I really wonder - what is this crap!!
But yeah..I really loved a couple of them too- Saans was one my favourite ones too - no insensible leaps and as you mentioned characters whom we can atleast remotely relate to... I still love watching Tu Tu Main Main..Wonder why they don't make 'em like that neymore..
Interesting Post!

Confused Soul said...

# Sid,
Very true!

#Archana,
I really loved Tu Tu Main Main.. it was so very cute!! But in this post, I'm not referring to the comedy serials, just about the serious saas-bahu stuff :)

Quarter Past Seven said...

I respect Ekta Kapoor for what she is. She is one woman who knows her business. She makes what sells. We all might condemn her shows, but we are the ones who keep it going. That is because, deep inside our hearts we all like them. Just like we all like to hear gossip, and we all gossip about people, at some point or the other. But we refuse to accept it.

Bottomline is, public accepts one thing for a while, and then it needs change. Which is why we have seen TV shows evolve into what they are now. There was a time when countdown shows were the most popular things. Would the public watch them now? There will be a time when 'these' shows will evolve into another genre, and I trust Balaji Telefilms to come up with another show in that particular one, just like it made "Hum Paanch" the most popular TV show in the comedy era of television.

Confused Soul said...

#Bart Simpson,
She's taken the television world by storm, and I respect her for who she is; but not what for what she portrays in her shows.I agree that we are the ones who keep it going, and that's when I wonder why? We like to hear gossip n all, but there's a limit..especially when even children watch all these shows. Well, that's my take on it :)

Quarter Past Seven said...

Well, I can't blame her for potraying what sells. and children, I am sure you know they are exposed to a lot worse that K-shows. Anyway, it's a never ending debate..My conclusion, people are responsible for themselves.

Anusha said...

Oh, man. I totally understand what you mean - I only watched "Kyunki..." every once in a while because Mom and Dad used to follow it long ago, and it was so annoying! They changed the actor who was supposed to play Mihir at least 3 times, killed him off, brought him back, had him hooked to at least 3 different ladies...man, he is probably the character who's suffered the most in the K mania. Sheesh!

I agree that people are responsible for themselves, but geez, there's plenty of ways to make money without promoting shitty values! I don't care if it gets her a lot of money - drug dealers probably make heap-loads of money, but just because they have a "market", doesn't make what they do right. (I'm not exactly comparing Ekta to drug dealers here, it's just an analogy :P)

Confused Soul said...

#Clueless,
I totally agree :)

shubhangi said...

hahaahha... I am happy that I never fell for all this crap!! Thanks to Mum, since she never watched and never allowed us to as well!! So yeah, I watched BBC, Cartoon network and programmes like Koffee with Karan, Apprentice, Rendezvous with Simi Garewal and the likes!!

Also, like Hip Hip Hooray and all those kid programmes!!

Quarter Past Seven said...

Hip hip hooray for public responsibility!! hehe

thx!

Macho Girl said...

I used to watch her show "Kabhi Sautan Kabhi Saheli". I dunno how many Ks were there in the spelling :P but the title itself makes u go "yeha right!" coz it just doesnt happen that way in real life! Too unbelievable! And i guess loads of young girls get terrified of getting married coz of the way the moms-in-law are on her shows. and as u said, i do wonder why we watch them at all. its not even like its a fast paced program (and by fast paced, i dont mean action stuff and all, just a story that moves somewhere). I bet i could watch her serial during my december vacation, come back for the semester then follow the show again in summer without missing much!

I guess it just starts off with one episode u choose to watch out of boredom, then wanna know what happens and all... even though its slow moving! What kept me watching KSKS was that i was wondering when the 2 sahelis would meet and find out they are sautans! Just curiosity lead me to put up with all other shit. It becomes an addiction that way.

Maybe this is just one of those unexplained phenomena! :P

Mark IV said...

aah... u should watch tamil/telugu/kannada serials... come to think of it- no difference either...
female's dad throws her out when she's a kid... or better- he dies. her step dad/ uncle/ caretaker torture her... grows up to be a good virtuous lass with INDIAN sentiments (god pls tell me wtf indian sentiments are)...
utterly poor- tormented by rich scheaming bitch (female+evil) and her underdog pimp (male+evil+stupid)... evil bitch dabs 3meters of make up.... heroine has troubled family life... and episode 39,67,891 there is a nuclear catastrophe and everyone dies!!!

sheeks u bring out good stuff! great find in u:-)