Sunday, July 08, 2007

07.07.07

Back in school, I used to love writing such dates in my note books. I think the first one was 9.9.99 and then it came every year with 01.01.01, 02.02.02 and so on. It just looks so nice.. you can't tell the difference between the day, month or year, and it's like you're in a totally different world and time seems to have no bounds!

Anyway, this year there is something very special about this day. The new seven wonders of the world are going to be announced today - on 07.07.07 @ Lisbon, Portugal. After 2200 years of having had seven wonders of the 'ancient world', today we will have seven new wonders of the world! People from all over the world have voted for their favourite seven wonders. It has been unanimously decided that the Pyramids require no voting, and it is already one of the new seven wonders. So that leaves six more. You can see the nominees here. I voted too!There is a grand presentation ceremony which is going to happen tonight, and our very own Bipasha Basu is one of the few people presenting the awards! I so wish the Taj Mahal retains its place as a Wonder of the World! But only time will tell.. I can't wait to see the results! Well, I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed.. :)

**********************************************************************************
The resutls are out, the Taj Mahal is in! Yipee :D Congrats to India, thanks to all the people who voted for it! The Great Wall of China, Jordan's Petra, Brazil's statue of Christ the Redeemer, Peru's Machu Picchu, Rome's Colosseum and Mexico's Chichen Itza pyramid and of course, the Pyramids of Giza are the other new wonders of the world.
Truly a wonder of the world.. Forever..

12 comments:

Macho Girl said...

i cant wait to find out myself!!!!! i really hope the taj mahal makes it :)

Psst! Just alert me when the results are out! I am eager to know the results but i am also very absent minded :P

Anusha said...

Haha! I second MG's request too - notify me when the results are out! :D

Ooh, and 9.9.99 was my brother's 18th (1+8=9!) birthday. I don't think it comes as much of a surprise that he just loves the number 9. :P

Macho Girl said...

yay! Taj Mahal is in!!!! This calls for a celebration!!!! :D

*hic* :P

Anusha said...

Huh. Did you know these aren't official? Just found out today. Some private company is just doing this, but apparently UNESCO has made a statement saying they have nothing to do with the voting. The old seven wonders are still valid (or whatever the word for it is), apparently.

Confused Soul said...

#Clueless,

My mom just told me about it!! But either ways, for us it does not make any difference, coz the Taj Mahal is a wonder of the world anyway! :)

Satya Saya said...

guess what.. TAJ came at 1st place!!!!!!!! i guess its nothing to be surprised about.. its THE wonder of the world

Archun said...

I still love writing such dates! n I turned 18 on 05/05/05! :-) I guess its really silly, but I'm sorta proud of it..hehe..many more to look forward to - I even like the ones like 05/06/07!
Awesome that Taj Mahal made it naa?! I voted too!

Mithr said...

Hurray.. Taj Mahal..You should have seen the celebration in Agra by the Agraites.. :) It was truly pleasing. I put myself in that place and realized how I would feel if either the Koovam river or the Marina Beach had got such world status :P

Mithr said...

Do vote for the Seven Public Toilet Wonders of the world @

http://indiauncut.com/iublog/article/vote-for-sulabh-shauchalaya/

Confused Soul said...

#Satya,

Very true! It is a wonder of the world.. be it the ancient or modern world!

#Archun,

Yeah even I like all fancy dates.. hehe.. and u turned 18 on 05.05.05.. that's SO cool!

#Mithr,

Why only people from Agra, even I would have celebrated, but I got to know that this thing is not official.. so.. bah..

And about the Kooum and Toilet wonders of the world, I have just one thing to say.. LOL!!

Anonymous said...

hmmmy ya m happy de taj mahal is in as well! but somehow i feel dat its not rite to have a global "vote" to decide what is a wonder n wut is not....either u add on to de 7 wonders or u don touch em....eiffel tower is still a wonder...wut do u tink?

Confused Soul said...

#Shankar,

True! They should have just added a few may be.. but as I said earlier, the UNESCO does not support the new seven wonders.. these results are unofficial..the old seven hold good too!