Sunday, July 15, 2007

The worth of weekends!

Ever since I've started interning, I've really looked forward to the weekend. I'm not implying that I get bored at work or I'm not liking it, it's just that after a 9-6 week, you look forward to: the Friday evening when you can go out, have fun and get back however late you want.. the Saturday and Sunday mornings when you can get up at noon if you wish.. the movies you can watch at the theater and not just on the comp.. the book you were half way through, you can now complete.. meet all your friends who are working too and whom you don't get to meet during the week..

I had this feeling after the very first week of work! And I know many of my friends felt the same way too.. Even during the week, I used to have fun after work - we would go swimming, have dinner and then play cards or watch a movie. It had become a sort of a routine. But still, weekends have their own charm.. During the semester whenever my dad used to ask me "So, what plans for the weekend? Or simply "What plans for Sunday?", I would go like "Nothing much, just usual, might go out for lunch or dinner".. and most often, since it would be mid-term time or exam time.. "What else but study?". I never realized the worth of weekends then. But now, after working 5 days I week, I really look forward to Friday evenings.. sometimes, I start longing for it from Wednesday itself, especially if plans had been made for the weekend in advance.

Somehow, even when I was in school, I never felt weekends were so very special. May be because school just wasn't as taxing in the lower classes, nor as long as an entire day or work at office.. And after Std.10, the weekend just meant more time to study! I can't believe it now! So I would actually look forward to the weekends in this case, but for a different reason! After having experienced a tiny bit of how work life is going to be, now I realize why my dad loves to laze around on Sundays at home. He really relaxes, in the true sense of the word. He doesn't mind if we don't go out or do anything special on Sundays, but the very fact that he gets and entire day to relax is enough. Sometimes, my mom tells me, we should go on a holiday soon, your dad hasn't had one in a while. I never realized how much my dad needed it, or the value of it, until I started working myself. The value of getting a day/week off. Of getting time alone, of getting time to relax, to spend with your family.

A short internship has taught me so much! And it's just an internship. What it is going to be like when I start working? I will just have to wait and watch! :)

10 comments:

Macho Girl said...

I guess i still dont understand the value of weekends in the sense you do. For me, for these 2 months, value of weekends is spending quality time with mommy dearest :)

Archun said...

totally!! My best day of the week is Friday - I just can't wait for Friday evenings!! And I also pretty much start the wait from wednesdays..hehe..
The interns are teaching us a lot more than what we expected naa? :-)
insightful post as usual ;-)

Anonymous said...

hey yes! i TOTALLY AGREE with u! i don wanna start working man! monday mornings i feel so bogged dat i gotta go thru de week....come wednesday i feel a bit better coz im jz waiting fer friday!! icant believe i gotta do dis fer de rest of my llife! u start looking forward for de public holidays u get (which thr arent many in sg...damnit!!) or de wknds....sucks man! lol....u jz feel like lazing around...doing nothing...dat doin nothin itself feels so good! hehe

Confused Soul said...

#Macho girl,
Either way, we both understand the value of weekends :) U'll understand it my way when you intern/start working, for sure!

#Archun and Shankar,
We're all in the same boat! :)

sankaran said...

sucks! =(

Anusha said...

Friday evenings rock. Regardless of what time of the year it is, really. That's all. :D

Anonymous said...

haha..i sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo agree...
lol..weekend weekend weekend..yay! haha'
i get so excited thinkin abt freedom from stupid office..it beocmes my facebook status :p

chocoswiss

soleil said...

I totally get what you mean. Even though I am having holidays and not doing any internship or UROPs, I still have to come into Singapore almost everyday of the week to teach tuition, for CCA, for French class. It just all gets so tiring after a while. I find myself looking forward to Sunday when I can just relax and bum around at home with my family. And yet another part of me can't wait to move back to campus so that I don't have to travel so much.

Siddharth said...

Yep... I agree with you... as soon as one starts working, he realizes the worth of weekends and looks forward to the nearst one's arrival..But I hadn't thought that all this weekday-working stuff will come down so hard on you... I mean its okay for ppl like me where (during the semester) everyday seems a weekend...but for you, who has been attending every single lecture since the first day at university, this longing for a weekend shouldn't be as much as for ppl like me... :P
But truly speaking, I wonder how are Dad(s) are actually ready to go out with us even on sundays when I used to sleep for atleast 12 hours on weekends during my own internship!! Really love them for being Dad(s)!! :)

Confused Soul said...

#Clueless,
I didn't realize/appreciate it during the semester until now.. but after this experience, I'm I sure I will :)

#Chocoswiss,
I've seen those status messages of yours.. gave me some comfort in knowing that I'm not the only one waiting for the weekend! haha..

#Soleil,
I can imagine what you must be going through.. atleast for me it's just to work and back.. you have so many things on ur list!

#Siddharth,
As I said to clueless, I haven't really appreciated weekends too much in the semester..but now, I will! And to all our dads, hats off to them.. :)