Saturday, June 16, 2007

Status messages.. on your phone?

If you check my inbox/outbox during term time, most of the messages would be.. "Wru?".. "Give me another ten mins, I'll see you at your residence then.." and most importantly.. "Lunch?".."Dinner?".. Haha.. And especially if ten of you are going out for dinner from one place, like pgp, and you decide to meet at one place at a particular time, you have to message and ask each one why they aren't there yet. Lots of people may end up messaging one person, and on the other hand, someone may be left out! Haha.. haven't we experienced this before?

Given such scenarios, wouldn't it be really wonderful if we could have status messages on our phones just like we have on facebook? You can choose to display your message to one, a few, or your entire contact list if you want. And you can check the latest messages on the "Status updates" section, just like facebook. [Have I been facebooking too much? :)]

Then, in the given example of going out as a gang, you could set your status message to just those ten people as "CS is ready and is waiting at the foyer".. lol.. and if someone is late, they could write "X is almost done, will be there in 5 mins..".. Or if you decide to meet at the back gate instead of the foyer, just display it! :P It seems weird, but it is a great idea! Sometimes everyone is busy and you don't have company for lunch, you could just check your phone and see if someone you know is lunching somwhere and you could join them! But what if that person doesn't wanna have lunch with you? Well, in that case, that person would have selected you to be able to see his/her status message! Even during exam time, if you are studying in the library and you want a break, and you don't know who else is studying in the library [given that it is so huge!], you could easily set your status asking your friends if they are in the library and if they wanna go for a walk! Or if you're going to mustafa, you can tell a select few of your friends and ask them if they want anything!

Enough examples, you get the drift! I don't know if it's stupid, but it's just something I think about in certain situations.. and how helpful it would be.. This reminds me of the !dea tag line.. An idea can change your life!

11 comments:

Macho Girl said...

need to have internet on your phone for something like that!!! :P :P :P come to think of it, us students have cell phones so that we can coordinate and all when going out. messages like "where u?", "dinner at 8?" and all are the essence of teenage messaging!!! But status messages arent a bad idea. now its upto u engin students to do something about it! :P

soleil said...

I think it's an awesome idea! Why don't you come up with a program, patent it and make lotsa money?! Woohoo! :p

Confused Soul said...

#MG and Soleil,
May be I should do something about my idea after all!! :P

Archun said...

hehe..yeah! Brilliant idea! You know how your area appears on the phone and changes its status every time you move around? So I suppose it is sufficient that you have network coverage - you don't actually need a 3G phone with net connectivity - and that makes your idea worth quite a bit! :-D You should draft a nice paper and maybe present it to Singtel!

Quarter Past Seven said...

It's an innovative idea! Although, I think I would consider it too much infringement of privacy, but I guess that's where freedom of choice comes into play..

Confused Soul said...

#Archun,
I will definitely 'sell' my idea to them when I have the time to write out a nice paper!! :P

#Bart Simpson,
You status messages will show only to people to want it to be shown to.. so if you want your privacy, select only a couple of your good friends!! :D

Siddharth said...

hey, I actually read it last week only... realized only after lookin at it today.. :P
I think if you have Internet on ur phone, you can put up ur status msg on your messenger for people to check...Now ppl like u have "new" phones who can easily activate their GPRS n let ppl know their status..As for me, I'm Single! :P

Confused Soul said...

#Sid,
I'm pretty confused what you're trying to say - you read my post last week, but you understood it only today?? :P
And btw, I'm not talking about messenger!! I'm talking about just a normal phone status, which everyone can have.. no internet needed.. just like you get which area u are in on your phone..Like they give campus calling just based on the tower you get reception from.. even for these status messages, you'll just need reception.. thats all :) [like Archun said..]
And which GPRS are you talking about?? ;)
And I'm talking about some other kinds of status messages!! :)

Mithr said...

This is such a brilliant idea.! This thought occuring is a life sciences nerd (:P) is quite surprising. I really think you should mail nokia or motorola with this idea.!!! And then you will be famous!!!!:D:D:D

Confused Soul said...

#Fafs,
Bioengineering student you mean.. neither am I from life sciences, nor am I a nerd :P

Anonymous said...

Had you implemented this.... you would be a billionaire now!
Whatsapp is the same thing rite..